Friday 14 October 2016

Celebrity Feature - Jacques Terre'Blanche


BP -  We all know that the media doesn’t always get all their info correct, what is the strangest thing you have read about yourself that wasn’t true?

JT - Well this one is quite a while ago, but they all count. 😊 I once landed in Cape Town, only to find that on every single lamp post there was to be seen, was my face cropped on someone's tuxedo'd body, with a heading that read, "Idol - Just Married."  Needless to say, what followed wasn't all that pretty.

BP -  You have quite a large following on social media, especially Twitter. What is the most memorable tweet you have received, or been tagged in?

JT -  It would have to be when I collaborated with Jackie Jackson. He was extremely hands on and tweeted me more than once. The day we released our track, he tweeted how awesome it was working with me and Twitter literally blew up. Was quite something. Just something about having worked with a 'Jackson' that was extra special.

BP -  Everybody starts their working careers off small, what was your very first job?

JT -  I tried my hand at waitering, but that lasted for one day. A lady sent her milkshake back 4 times and that's when I decided mid service that she could take her milkshake and.......

BP -  The South African Music industry is a cut throat industry. What encouraging words do you have for any aspiring musicians starting out??
 
JT -  Pretty much to practice as hard as what you can. Refine your craft and take it step by step. The mistake many up and coming artists make is that they think far too big far too soon. Do the ground work first and the rest will follow. Also, never stop loving what you do.

BP -  In your line of work you get to work with a wide variety of people. Who was your most memorable?

JT -  As mentioned above, working with Jackie Jackson was a true honour! I also got to collaborate with akon on my second album, 'the colour red' which was also rather amazing.  Another special collab was with the one and only Hotstix Mabuse on my single, 'goodnight moon' where he played a Sax solo. Was extremely special to say the least.

BP -  You recently released your own rendition of Lucas Maree's "Droomvrou". What drew you to the song?

JT -  Well, as most of you might know, my dad was Afrikaans and my mother is English. As my brother and I grew up with English as our first language, my dad begged me for years to experiment a bit in Afrikaans. DROOMVROU was the first Afrikaans track my dad ever introduced me to. Since his passing just over a year ago now, I thought it to be a fitting tribute to my pops. My whole shift into doing more Afrikaans is thanks to him, and also very much for him.

BP -  Every big star starts somewhere small. Tell us about the very first time you performed infront of people.
JT -  When I was only 10, I went to a Corporate function with my father, where a Kaapse Klopse group were the entertainment for the evening. In true 'dad' style, he got me on to the stage at some point of the evening to sing the national anthem with them. After hearing me sing, they decided to adopt me as there new lead singer and asked if I would front them for the Annual Kaapse Klopse event that took place at the green point stadium later that year.
Completely petrified, I took on the challenge and sang, from a distance to a packed green point stadium. This was my very first epic stage experience.

BP -  Even the biggest stars have somebody they would love to meet. Given the opportunity, who would you like to meet?

JT -  Well as a musician, I would love to meet Chris Martin. Would love to pick his brain when it comes to writing music and better yet, even get to write something with him. Coldplay always remains a firm favourite of mine.

BP -  Most musicians have shows or venues that are special to them. What venue or show has been your favourite thus far in your career?

JT -  This question takes me straight back to Zim. A show I once did there called, 'rock down Harare' must've been a crowd of about 7000 people and was simply just the best energy ever. Love the Zimbo's. 

BP -  With the seemingly infinite catalogue of classic songs now available, which classic song do you wish that you had written or performed?

JT -  Let's go with - Eric Clapton - I shot the sheriff. Great song, and can be done in so many styles. Also, royalties galore. 😊

BP -  Now, onto a more personal note for those superfans out there> Where did you grow up, and what was it like growing up where you did?

JT -  I was born in Johannesburg, and lived in the randburg area until the age of 10. We then moved to Cape Town and I grew up there until the age of 17 until we had to move back to Jozi because of my dads business ventures. After Martic, I moved straight back to CT at the age of 18 and stayed with my brother in Tamboerskloof. 

While growing up in CT, we lived in Gordon's Bay and in Stellenbosch. I absolutely loved every minute growing up in Both of these areas, and explored every Nook and cranny. I do feel that nothing in the world can compare to the beauty of what the Cape has to offer, and it will certainly be where my heart lies forever.

BP -  Did you always see yourself in the entertainment industry, or did you have different dreams as a child?

JT -  Well, gymnastics was pretty much my whole life growing up. I achieved my springbok colours by the age of 15 and trained for just about 6 hours a day, everyday. The dream was of course to take this all the way and possibly partake in the 2004 Olympic Games.

Those plans changed when I injured my knee and had to make the horrible decision of calling it quits. I did however Pursue my royal eliminations in singing/music throughout school and achieved my grade 8 by the time I was in standard 8.

I never had a solid plan to be honest, but it turned out that I needed a grade 8 in music to even audition to make it in to the UCT music school, and that is exactly where that grade 8 lead me.

The rest is history.

BP -  What is the next big thing in your career?

JT -  I have recently signed a deal with Sony select and am in the process of creating  my very first Afrikaans album. Still speaking the language like a true soutie, but getting better with practice. 😊

This is of course a huge privilege and and a journey I am enjoying so much thus far. Will of course continue writing and recording my English stuff, but at this stage of my life and career, music is music regardless of what language it might be sung in. You never know, I little trip abroad to enter the voice might also be on the cards.  😊

BP -  How has your life changed with the advent of fame?

JT -  I'm not famous. Justin Bieber is famous 😜

BP -  What has been the biggest challenge you have faced in life? And how did you overcome it?

JT -  The biggest challenge to date, is having lost my father. He truly was the most incredible man I knew and taught me so many valuable life lessons. Everyday spent without him is a challenge and I don't foresee that ever changing. I can however say, that the loss of my father, has only forced me to work harder and push myself to extremes that I never would have done otherwise. This in a sense is the greatest coping mechanism. Reason being, is that I know I am keeping him proud.



BP -  With so many Musicians and Actors crossing career paths, have you ever considered acting?

JT -  I have actually been offered a role here and there. But to be honest, music is my chosen craft and my chosen passion. If I were offered an epic movie role though, that would be a different story. 😁

BP -  What has your most memorable encounter with a fan?

JT -  Would have to be when I confronted a fan that used to attend almost every show I did. Only to discover that this fan  of mine was deaf. Her reasoning, which she wrote down for me, is that I was the only artist she could hear without hearing. She wrote that she could feel my soul when singing. That to me was an extra extra special profound moment. Will cherish it forever.

BP -  Everyone harbours a pet peeve. What is yours?

JT -  Ignorance. People that argue knowing that their argument has no relevance.

BP -  Final question! Team Cap or Team Iron Man


JT -  Team iron man!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marie Fredriksson - Dead at 61

Songbird and voice of Roxette, Marie Fredriksson has passed away at the age of 61. The swedish pop star had been fighting a lengthy battl...