Sunday 28 August 2016

Celebrity Feature - Kgomotso Christopher


I recently had the pleasure of interviewing the beautiful and talented Kgomotso Christopher of Isidingo and Scandal fame. 

BP -  We all know that the media doesn’t always get all their info correct, what is the strangest thing you have read about yourself that wasn’t true?

KG - That I have an eating disorder. Lol. Those who truly know me ie media know that I have always been that skinny chick who eats magwenya, atchaar, Russians and Tropika to take it down as a living with no gym and will never be overweight. Sigh! 

BP -  You have quite a large following on social media, especially Twitter. What is the most memorable tweet you have received, or been tagged in? 
KG - I was recently lamenting over something that hits me professionally and personally...the casting of American actors in our iconic SA films...was told I am mistaken about phenomenally talented Whoopi Goldberg because she was in Sarafina because she in fact South Africa. Tjo. You learn something everyday! 

BP -  Everybody starts their careers off small, what was your very first job? 
KG - My first featured role on Backstage. I was 21. 

BP -  The tv and movie industry is a cut throat industry. What encouraging words do you have for anyone starting out in the industry? 
KG - Don’t do it for the fame or money. The fame is superficial and in SA there is no money. 

BP -  In your line of work you get to meet a wide variety of people. Who was your most memorable? 
KG - I had a small role in a film where I got to work with an artist I look up to. Angela Bassett. 

BP -  What has been your most challenging role in your career? 
KG - All my roles are challenging. Otherwise I wouldn’t take them. 

BP -  Every big star starts somewhere small. What was your very first role on screen? 
KG - I was an extra in high school on a film called “Stray Bullet”. Directed by Patrick Shai and now my etv colleague Jamie Bartley aka David Genaro of Rythm City fame. 

BP -  Even the biggest stars have somebody they would love to meet, given the opportunity. Who would you like to meet? 
KG - So many. Meryl Streep. Anthony Hopkins. Michelle Obama 

BP -  Most thespians have roles they wish they had not turned down. Do you have any casting decisions you regret? 
KG - A day before I got married and moved to London, I was offered a role in GazLam. Had to turn it down. 

BP -  With the Marvel and Star Wars rage taking over the international movie scene in recent years, is there a character you would love to play if given the chance? 
KG - I have always wanted to be a Bond girl. 

BP -  Now onto a more personal note for those superfans out there> Where did you grow up, and what was it like growing up where you did? 
KG - I grew up in Tembisa. Simple upbringing which taught me to be resilient and proud no matter how basic my upbringing was or lack of wealth. 

BP -  Did you always see yourself in the entertainment industry, or did you have different dreams as a child? 
KG - I always was inclined to the arts. But at some point I thought I would be a ballerina or pianist. Later on as a Law student I thought I would be a Diplomat. 

BP -  We refered to you earliest role on tv, how did you land your most famous role to date, Katlego Sibeko. 
KG - I auditioned for the role of the daughter of a powerful mining magnate. Ended up as the trophy wife of this said Black Diamond. 

BP -  How has your life changed with the advent of fame? 
KG - Well I don’t consider myself famous. But a celebrated Artist whose work makes people know her even though she doesn’t know them personally. That platform has extended my ability to be considered for work opportunities that further my craft. Other than that I have chosen not to change. I am still that crazy girl from the East Rand. 

BP -  How did you and Calvin meet? 
KG - We met at UCT. I was in my 1st year and he had just arrived from the US as an exchange student at UCT. 

BP -  How did you know that he was the man you wanted to spend your life with? 
KG - I really didn’t. I was never brought up to look for a knight in shining armour. So we took our time to get to know each other and when we realised we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together it was a process and affirmation of how compatible we were. 

BP -  How did he pop the big question? 
KG - Ever since we met when I was 18. Calvin made sure we spent time together especially in the USA with his family. So one New Year’s Eve we had dinner at a beautiful ocean view restaurant in Malibu Beach. He had spent. Years trying to figure out what kind of ring he would propose to me with given that I was clear I didn’t ever want to wear a Blood Diamond on my finger. He searched until he found a new unknown stone, the Tanzanite. December 31st 2002 

BP -  Everyone harbours a pet peeve. What is yours? 
KG - I can’t stand pretentious people 

BP -  Have you enjoyed this little interview?
KG - Totally. Some questions I have never been asked or had the chance to answer 

BP -  Final question! Team Cap or Team Iron Man 
KG - Revealing my age. Don’t even know what this question mean. Hahahaa 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marie Fredriksson - Dead at 61

Songbird and voice of Roxette, Marie Fredriksson has passed away at the age of 61. The swedish pop star had been fighting a lengthy battl...