Tuesday 1 October 2019

Celebrity Feature - Clive Maistry




Clive Maistry is not stranger to the entertainment scene, having done extensive work in the Industry, ranging from Television and Radio Presenting, Voice-Over Artistry, Directing, Modeling and Acting. You would most like have heard him on 5FM's weekend breakfast show with entertainment veterans Elana Afrika and Mark Gillman. As well as as the Award Winning UJFM 95.4fm entertainment show. The King of Awesome himself, Brad Patterson, caught up with him to have a chinwag recently.


BP - We all know that the media doesn’t always get all their info correct, what is the strangest thing you have read about yourself that wasn’t true?
CM - Wow! Now, this is quite the question!! I would say - The Funniest thing I have read about myself that was not true would be I had plastic surgery done!! I laughed it off in an interview“as a case of The Ugly Duckling”

BP - Everybody starts their working careers off small, what was your very first job?
CM - My first job (and as cliched as it is) was waiting tables at a local Spur restaurant - Needless to say that didn't last too long as I was way too ambitious for my own good!

BP - The South African Entertainment Industry is a tough nut to crack, what advice do you have for anyone considering a career in this field?
CM - I would say 1stly - It is not all Glitz and Glamour and you definitely have to grow a thick skin very quickly! It's a very rewarding industry when you finally get those shots/chances - But just the enormity (in life experience and skills) that you can grow from one day to the next is truly remarkable! I would say it's great to have your head in the clouds, but also try and be realistic about your goals.

BP - In your line of work, you get to meet a wide variety of people. Who was your most memorable?
CM - I'd say this is a definite PERK of being in the industry! I also couldn't say there was just ONE memorable moment - But a Star Struck Fan-Girl Moment was seeing Charlize Theron - She was like HEY CLIVE! - No totally kidding - she doesn't even know I exist! hahaha! But she did walk passed me at the M-Net Buildings when she brought home her Academy Award for Monster! #TrueStory

BP - Given your popularity, I am sure you have encountered a few interesting star-struck fans along the way, what has been your favourite fan encounter?
CM - One of my absolute 'mind-blown' moments was a fan designing a wallpaper for one of my social media pages using all my photos (A little Creepy ...... but a LITTLE Memorable)

BP - Even the most successful people have had somebody they would love to meet, given the opportunity. Who would you like to meet?
CM - The Ultimate Music Supreme - Mariah Carey - Believe it or not - I'm still a number 1 fan - all these years later and she lives on all my iTune playlists!!

BP - Now onto a more personal note for those super-fans out there. Where did you grow up, and what was it like growing up where you did?
CM - I grew up in the Sunny City or Durban! There were always such great moments like the beach literally just up the road. Having the joy of family and friends constantly around and of course NOT having to adult! haha!
This industry can be very lonely - so it's always great doing family visits and reconnection and recharging.

BP - Everyone’s career goals changed and adapt as they grow, what did you see yourself becoming as a child? And, how much does it differ from your current career?
CM - I actually wanted to get into medicine - the animal sorts that is! Yes - I wanted to become a VET - but circumstances weren't favourable in that department.
I have also, always, been drawn to the arts though - and if you could jump into a time machine and go back - You'd catch me singing and dancing around the house, playing DJ, MC and even acting out skits for the family around get-togethers - So it was definitely a talent I knew I developed and gravitated to(and still do).



BP - How has your success affected your personal life?
CM - I'd say it's made it a little difficult to have a personal life as everything these days can end up on social media within seconds - So I've had to make adjustments in that regard. Again - I have learned that this industry is sometimes difficult when trying to maintain relations or friendships for that matter - as the hustle for career goals never stop and sometimes personal life has to take a back seat on the road to success.

BP - What has been your most challenging decision in your career thus far? What made it so challenging?
CM - I wouldn't say anything has ever been "a challenging decision" so to speak - I'd like to think of myself as a very calculated guy - #ImATaurus

BP - What has been your most memorable moment in your career thus far? What made it so memorable?
CM - My First Billboard campaign - Now that was VERY COOL!! It was for the brand Daniel Klein Watches!

BP - Looking back in your life and career, how do you feel you have grown, changed, and evolved as a person?
CM - How much time have you got?? Ha ha !
I'm a nutshell I can say I have grown emotionally and mentally way beyond my years! And that's something I will forever be thankful for!

BP - With so many demands on your time and talents, how to you find a balance?
CM - I try to keep my life quite balanced! I'd say fitness is certainly something I turn to as my outlet!
The "trick to fitness" though on a demanding schedule though - is to infact "schedule" it into your diary as an appointment for the day and take my advise when I say - It's one of the most important meetings you'll have all day!!

BP - Everyone harbours a pet peeve. What is yours?
CM - When someone says "Don't take this in an offensive way but..." #SideEyeForDays

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marie Fredriksson - Dead at 61

Songbird and voice of Roxette, Marie Fredriksson has passed away at the age of 61. The swedish pop star had been fighting a lengthy battl...