Friday 9 September 2016

Celebrity Feature - Michaella Russell


I had the pleasure of interviewing the amazingly talented and beuatiful Michaella Russell of Isidingo fame!


BP: We all know that the media doesn’t always get all their info correct. What is the strangest thing you have read about yourself that wasn’t true?
MR: The strangest thing I have read about myself is that I am an expert dancer, which I sadly am not. I do love dancing though but I am so not classically trained, haha!

BP: You have quite a large following on social media, especially Twitter. What is the most memorable tweet you have received, or been tagged in?
MR: I am humbled to have fans follow and support me and my work. I can’t think of a specific memorable tweet, however, a few times I’ve had the honour of being told that my work is good and that it is moving to those who watch it.

BP: Everybody starts their careers off small, what was your very first job prior to your television career?
MR: I was a promotion girl. Certainly not my favourite job, but it encouraged me to push as hard as I could to achieve better for myself.

BP: The TV and movie industry is a cut throat industry. What encouraging words do you have for anyone starting out in the industry?
MR: It’s a small industry, especially in South Africa. Do your best to be professional and courteous as you want people to want to work with you. Also never stop sharpening your ability as an actor / singer / performer on a continual basis – don’t become complacent.

BP: In your line of work you get to meet a wide variety of people. Who was your most memorable?
MR: I am privileged to work with so many talented and respected people. I can’t name one person because I am lucky enough to know several phenomenal performers. I did meet Natalie du Toit, an inspirational role model of mine and I was totally blown away by how sweet and kind she was.

BP: What has been your most challenging role in your career?
MR: So far Charlie has posed a wonderful challenge. She is such a dynamic character that has endured so much, there are so many layers to play with and develop within her that I never feel stifled.

BP: Every big star starts somewhere small. What was your very first role on screen?
MR: My very first role and very first audition as an actress was actually for Isidingo, lol! But the first add I did on TV was for a cleaning company where I was dressed as a dirt-busting super hero. I love Sci-fi so I had a blast!

BP: Even the biggest stars have somebody they would love to meet, given the opportunity. Who would you like to meet?
MR: I would like to meet Steven Spielberg or Ron Howard or any of the genius directors that have so enchanted the world with their mastermind visions.

BP: Most thespians have roles they wish they had not turned down. Do you have any casting decisions you regret?
MR: Yep, I had to say no to a wonderful opportunity as it conflicted with another commitment. But hey, I have faith that hard work and dedication will allow for other opportunities to come round, so I’m at peace with it.

BP: With the Marvel and Star Wars rage taking over the international scene in recent years, is there a character you would love to play if given the chance?
MR: Wow, now we’re talking! I adore Sci-fi so for me to have the opportunity to play a super-hero would be extraordinary. I think, as cliché as it sounds, Superwoman would be great to play. Gotta show Superman how it’s done!

BP: Now onto a more personal note for those super fans out there. Where did you grow up, and what was it like growing up where you did?
MR: I grew up on a plot in the North of Johannesburg. It was gorgeous. I had a childhood filled with tree-climbing and adventure which helped to foster my creativity and ability to “play pretend”, which no-doubt has contributed to my love for acting.

BP: Did you always see yourself in the entertainment industry, or did you have different dreams as a child?
MR: I wanted to touch lives and help people, hence I thought that becoming a doctor or psychologist would suit me best. I also loved science and anatomy so it made sense. However, I always gravitated towards the arts. My first role saw me playing Hagrid at the age of 10, I wore a massive mesh costume, had to develop a welsh accent and memorise an enormous script but from that moment on I was hooked.

BP: How did you land your most famous role to date, Charlie Holmes?
MR: All credit goes to God, my creator who placed in me an ability and afforded me the opportunity to let it grow.

BP: How has your life changed with the advent of fame?
MR: I’m still me, just a bit more savvy with a tougher skin.

BP: Are you in a steady relationship? And how did you meet?
MR: I never talk about relationships. They are private and sacred just like family, so going to keep you guessing on that one ;-)

BP: Of your many co-stars, who would you say you are closest to?
MR: That would be a tossup between my “dad” Mr Paul Buckby or the gorgeous Tema Sebopedi (Lerato). However I genuinely love all of my colleagues, right from the wardrobe department to the directors. They are all truly inspiring.

BP: What was the biggest highlight of your career to date?
MR: One of the greatest highlights that I’ve experienced in my career thus far was when I finally took to the stage once more, but this time as a professional actress.

BP: Everyone harbours a pet peeve. What is yours?
MR: I abhor rudeness and unfair treatment. I find myself biting my lip and bubbling inside when confronted with either.

BP: Have you enjoyed this little interview?
MR: NO… Haha! Just kidding! This has been a very well-rounded interview and I have enjoyed it very much, thank you xxx

BP: Final question! Team Cap or Team Iron Man?
MR: Iron Man all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marie Fredriksson - Dead at 61

Songbird and voice of Roxette, Marie Fredriksson has passed away at the age of 61. The swedish pop star had been fighting a lengthy battl...